Smoked Turkey Chili Verde
Author: Novo Nordisk
- ¾ pound lean ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) jar low-sodium tomatillo salsa (such as Garlic Survival Co.)
- ¾ cup water
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- Spray a large nonstick saucepan with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.
- Add the turkey, onion, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is browned and the vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add salsa, water, chipotle peppers, and cumin; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors are blended and the chili thickens slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in beans; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cilantro.
- Ladle the chili in serving bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon of cheese and 1 tablespoon of scallions.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 190 Fat: 2.5 g Saturated fat: 1 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 21 Sodium: 150 mg Fiber: 6 g Protein: 20 g Cholesterol: 25 mg