Author: Novo Nordisk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 6 ounces vegetarian spicy sausage
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup okra (fresh or thawed frozen), chopped
- ½ cup roasted red pepper
- 1½ teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook, stirring frequently, until flour turns golden-brown and smells toasty, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery, mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, sausage, okra, roasted red peppers, Cajun seasoning and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until gumbo begins to thicken and the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the green onions and parsley.
- Pass hot sauce at the table.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 140 Fat: 6 g Saturated fat: .5 g Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 16 Sodium: 450 mg Fiber: 3 g Protein: 7 g Cholesterol: 0
*Gumbo is traditionally served over rice. You might try whole grain (brown) rice or barley. This has not been accounted for in the nutritional information.